Thursday, May 5, 2016

This Brave New World

What we're seeing is hitting me like a ton of bricks even though it has always been right there in front of us. I watch things and think about my children's future. I feel stupid compared to this swamping of A.I. that surrounds us. I speak to a computer silicon chip on my phone to text. It weighs 2000 times less than my brain and it understands every word better than my kids. Its mechanical ear weighs about 2000 times less than my ear. The A.I. algorithms that power voice recognition are a very general model of the human cortex. All A.I. that is coming is based on these Bayesian rule, with modifications that are continually bringing them closer to the cortex. The new chips being developed using different physical structures will implement them 1,000,000 times faster than current chips.

Amazon is on pace to eliminate every local store. Banking and finance are looking at a massive reduction in employees. Automated cars will cost 30% less from not needing a human interface and will eliminate highway deaths, making it illegal to drive someday. Programmers are replacing all non-elite programmers and thinking workers. China is replacing factory workers with robotics.

Evolution will continue to favor efficiency which is the last thing a human worker is. But for the forseeable future, it looks like the only job kids will need to do is accept money printed by the government and buy things. Efficiency is increasing faster than the government is printing money. The population is slowing down and the efficiency is increasing. What are people going to be like without having to work? I would have thought "idle hands are tool of the devil" but crime has been dropping every year for 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment